The Great Screens Procrastination errr Project...

So, my boat is 37 years old. While its lovely lines and stout engine attracted me, the resulting purchase has evolved into a series of projects necessary before I can cruise her full time.  This is the story of the Great Screens Procrastination errr, Project.

We had a brutal summer.  Nearly 12 straight weeks of 100+ heat indexes with virtually no sea breeze.  And anyone who's ever lived by the sea knows what a difference a sea breeze makes.  In late June/Early July I was on the hard for nearly a month with what started out to be a simple bottom job...  But, while you're at it, why don't you replace the prop shaft, too!  And things deteriorated from there.  The good news is, that most of that month was waiting for parts.  So, my yard bill was only double what I had anticipated, not quadrupled, as it could have been.  And, we got a lot done.  About the only major concern at this point is possibly needing to replace the heat exchanger soon.  And whether or not the tranny will hold up for the long haul of a 6000+ mile trip around the great loop. 

Which left three big projects or 15 smaller projects, depending on how you look at it, before we could depart.  I say we, meaning my boat and I.  Unless there's a young lady out there just dying to go with me...

That left replacing the window screens, glassing over the hatches to stop the torrential leaks and Getting the shower going.  The screens project consisted of 7 screens.  There are 3 hatches to glass over and a boat load of caulking to do.  (did you see what I did there... pun intended. 👀 )  And the Shower project consists of Repairing the tub surround, replacing the shower fixtures, repairing the hose run to the shower sump and finally replacing the shower sump pump.  

Next logical project after the haul out was the window screens.  But, you know what?  They can bloody well wait until it cools off and I can stand to walk outside without melting.  Boom, an easy 10 weeks of procrastination excuse.  

After my  trip to Wisconsin, the weather did in fact cool off.  But of course, as always happens on the boat, the project turned out to be a lot more complicated than it "needed" to be.

 

This is the screen frame, with the old screen cut out.  That frame is made of four pieces of teak that have been ripped lengthwise in order to be able to squeeze the screen between them.  Kind of ingenious and simple in its way.  Except that after 37 years all those zinc coated screws (apparently the Taiwanese builders hadn't heard of Stainless Steel... sigh)  had rusted and corroded to the point I couldn't get them out.  

So, I ordered a couple of sets of wire brushes for my drill in order that I might brush off the corrosion and have a better chance.  Boom another week easy procrastination delay.

That didn't even begin to work and all it accomplished was tearing up the wood around those miserable screws...

 But wait a minute... It's corrosion.  Maybe high grade Hydrogen peroxide will clean it up.  And an Ora Pik to clean the slots!  That's the Ticket.  Boom.  Another week delay, made to order.



Not even close to helpful.  The hydrogen peroxide that spilled onto my dining table did however clean that up real nice...  But hey, I've got several unopened OraPiks if anyone needs them... And a half dozen toothbrushes, too!  I'm keeping the Hydrogen Peroxide though, that stuff is awesome in so many ways.

Which brings us to today.  Today is Sunday.  It's my project day, whether my son is here to help me or not.  And I'm feeling really guilty about what is now 12 weeks procrastination on these damned screens.  In all fairness, it is down to 1 screen.  Three of the screens I was able to get apart, replace the screen and put them back in place.  Three more of the screens, I just gave up on.  They weren't ripped or holy, so I put them back up as is.  

The last screen was the one that actually instigated this whole nightmare in the first place as that screen was actually ripped.  so, I sat down to work on the screen and pondered it for a while.  Finally, it occurred to me, that if I had some sort of material that was thin and flat that I could add another layer to the screen and replace the screen that way, it would work and I could get this done, today.

 As it happens, I have two sheets of 1/8" PVC sheet in my car just dying to be used up on a project like this.

 

 

 

 



And 3 minutes after I sat down to write this, it started pouring buckets.  So, nice timing.


And this image an hour or so later after 3 power outages...

-- Much Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old... Not for Pussies.

Another Mini Romance...

Dad